Monday 29 February 2016

More autumn bulbs - and some of the loveliest


The soil is parched and yet up come treasures from dry bulbs; a friend posits that they may be responding to barometric pressure just as other bulbs flower in response to warmth or snow melt.

Who cares?
All I know is that they are Colchicum and I wonder which species they are. So I send off a photo to a Facebook group (Bulborum) and within minutes I have my answer: these sweet flowers are Colchicum cilicium (identified with more certainty after I send a photo of a bulb, too). My respondent from the US says this is one of his favourite of this genus.

Facebook, a force for good?
Well, today, I think so.

Jill Weatherhead is horticulturist, writer, garden designer and principal at Jill Weatherhead Garden Design who lives in the Dandenong Ranges east of Melbourne, and works throughout Victoria (www.jillweatherheadgardendesign.com.au)

No comments:

Post a Comment