Monday 2 June 2014

A visit to an inspiring edible garden

The new winter issue of Country Life Yarra Valley and Ranges has come out today and with it an article I have written about an organic garden in Selby – very near where I live – belonging to an amazing herbalist called Suzie; and beautiful stonework has been created by her daughter Holly Carter-Madej (of Holly C Stonework).
Suzie Carter-Madej is an inspiring woman, passionate about healthy food, who gathers food from her own organic patch. We both collect seeds from our own vegetable plants for planting later, but otherwise I found I had a lot to learn from this wise woman.
My favourite lesson, I think, was discovering the delicious tea that could be made from boiling water poured over 2 sprigs of lemon verbena (Aloysia triphylla) in the teapot. No tea bags, no packaging, no carbon miles. A delicious simplicity (representing so much more, of course) that I can only barely try to replicate in my life.

Jill Weatherhead is horticulturist, garden designer and principal at Jill Weatherhead  Garden Design who lives in the Dandenong Ranges east of Melbourne (Now www.jillweatherheadgardendesign.com.au, no longer www.jillweatherhead.com.au)


No comments:

Post a Comment